This is a fantastic and yummy recipe – which is so easy to cook – and is sure to please everyone. I do hope you like it as much as we do!
Serves 4: Ingredients
• 4 large chicken fillets or one 3lb chicken jointed and cut into portions
• 2 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 1 large cup dry white wine – ideally Chablis
• 3 smallish cups chicken stock
• 8 oz small button mushrooms and 2 carrots finely julienned
• 16 small white onions and half a bell pepper, finely sliced
• Bouquet garni and finely chopped fresh tarragon, parsley and thyme
• Salt and ground pepper to taste
• 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 finely chopped plump garlic cloves
• 1 tsp sugar
• 8 tablespoons heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley to garnish
• Heat the oil and butter in a flameproof casserole dish.
• Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides. (This is to sear them)
• Sprinkle with the flour, coating them all over. Add one chopped garlic clove
• Cook gently over a low heat for a few minutes.
• Pour in the wine and bring to the boil.
• Slowly add the chicken broth.
• Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat to simmering point.
• Add the bouquet garni and herbs and season to taste.
• Simmer gently for about 45 minutes until chicken is tender – half-way through cooking, add extra wine/stock if needed
• In a separate pan, heat the remaining butter and cook the mushrooms and the finely chopped bell pepper and garlic clove with the lemon juice until they are golden brown.
• Put the mushrooms, garlic and pepper slices in a warm bowl and set aside. Drain some of the buttery veggie juices from the cooking pan into the bowl
• Add the onions, thin strips of carrot, water and sugar, to the pan mix well and simmer until tender.
• Strain and add the onions/carrot strips into the bowl with the mushrooms/peppers.
• When the chicken is cooked, transfer to a warm serving dish and keep to one side.
• Add the vegetable juices from the pan (too nice to throw away- gives a good flavour!) to the casserole dish and bring to the boil stirring frequently.
• When the sauce is reduced, whisk the cream in and cook for about 2 minutes.
• Finally, add the mushrooms and onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.
• Taste it at this stage and season to your liking.
• Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve!
Have mashed potatoes or rice, plus green veggie to accompany